As the digital editor for WPLN News, you’ll help transform an award-winning radio station into a news operation that impresses audiences on all platforms.
We take pride in our newsroom’s creative storytelling, robust editing and thoughtful leadership. Your job in this brand-new editor position will be to foster those values in the digital sphere, and the most important part of this job is strategy and leadership. We’re looking for someone who has a vision for how digital news can best serve our community — and can communicate that vision effectively. How should we adjust our workflow to put the audience first, regardless of platform? Which audiences are we missing right now, and how do we build news products that will serve them? How can we better engage with the people who depend on us?
You’ll also work closely with reporters to make sure their audio-first stories shine online, as well as write occasional news stories for the web. And, you’ll start to manage direct reports as our team continues to grow. So, we’re looking for someone who has:
- A collaborative spirit and excellent communication In this role, you’ll interact with everyone in the newsroom and many people in other departments. You’re able to communicate your bold ideas in a way that encourages others to row in the same direction, and you value getting feedback on your plans.
- A passion for reaching new audiences and those who’ve been historically underserved by public radio. Your previous projects have helped newsrooms connect with new audiences and communities of color, among others.
- A discerning eye for copy editing. If you don’t already know AP Style by heart, you’ll be willing to learn (and willing to debate the stylebook from time to time).
- The ability (and proclivity) to nerd out about all things digital. This includes a knowledge of how the web works! You aren’t afraid of a little HTML.
What do we offer? A competitive salary. Great benefits. A Murrow Award-winning newsroom filled with dynamic colleagues who care about each other’s lives. We also care deeply about this region and the diverse religious, ethnic, immigrant and artistic communities within it. We don’t live in Nashville just because there’s great live music (though there is) or beautiful hiking trails (though there are). We’re here because we value telling Middle Tennessee’s stories and making it a better place through our coverage.
Come join us.
To apply, please send the following to [email protected] (PDFs preferred):
- Cover letter explaining your vision for how a mid-size public radio station can better embrace all things digital
- Three to four examples of digital projects that you’ve produced or overseen, along with an explanation of your role on those projects
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusivity in our hiring. Nashville Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer.