Though a far cry from the White House Correspondents Dinner, Nashville played host to its own celebration of the news media last weekend at the Tennessee AP Awards. Hosted by the Tennessee Associated Press and MTSU's school of journalism, the awards honored reporters, editors, producers and hosts across the state, in TV, newspapers and radio.
WPLN's news team took home 21 awards, including first place honors for radio reporter, newscaster and radio anchor.
Last week, WPLN was also honored to win two regional Edward R. Murrow awards, which aim to recognize outstanding achievements in digital and broadcast journalism. Natasha Senjanovic received one for "Feature Reporting," for her story on an international student mountain biking team. And WPLN was recognized for "Excellence in Writing" for a compilation of eclipse stories — one each by Tony Gonzalez, Meribah Knight and Emily Siner. Regional Murrow winners are automatically advanced to judging in the national awards, to be announced in June.
We want to thank all of our supporters for making this work possible. We dedicate these plaques to you.
Here's a complete list of the AP Awards won by WPLN staff:
- Journalist of the Year (Radio): Meribah Knight
- Short Light News Feature: Meribah Knight, "Shadow Snakes" (1st)
- Long Light News Feature: Natasha Senjanovic, "Bad News Bears Of Mountain Bike Racing" (1st)
- Continuing Coverage: Meribah Knight & Julieta Martinelli, "Police Shooting of Jocques Clemmons" (1st)
- Sports Feature: Tony Gonzalez, "Will Nashville See A Youth Hockey Explosion?" (1st)
- Use of Sound: Blake Farmer, "Hunting Remains A Way Of Life" (1st)
- Digital Coverage: Mack Linebaugh & Emily Siner (1st)
- Weather Coverage: Jason Moon Wilkins & Natasha Senjanovic (1st)
- Short Public Affairs: Chas Sisk, "Medical Marijuana Divides The Candidates" (1st)
- Special Series/Documentary: Blake Farmer, "Remembering America's Deadliest Train Crash"
- Investigative Reporting: Julieta Martinelli, "Nashville Man Spent Two Decades Behind Bars" (1st)
- Sports Reporting: Chas Sisk & Tony Gonzalez, "Preds Stanley Cup Run" (2nd)
- Radio Reporter: Blake Farmer (1st)
- Radio Anchor: Natasha Senjanovic (1st)
- Newscaster: Jason Moon Wilkins (1st)
- Short Newscast: Natasha Senjanovic (1st)
- Long Newscast: Jason Moon Wilkins (2nd)
- Short Serious News Feature: Chas Sisk, "Minister In Antioch Shooting Says Church Has No Enemies" (2nd)
- Long Serious News Feature: Tony Gonzalez, "Nashville Mayor Says Son's Overdose Death Deserves Frank Conversation" (2nd)
- Political Coverage: Chas Sisk (2nd)
- Use of Sound: Tony Gonzalez, "Tennessee Buck Dance Master" (2nd)